The FA Youth Cup Fourth Round has provided some entertaining fixtures and some shock results with League One side’s Carlisle United and Port Vale triumphing over their more illustrious Premiership opponents Manchester United and Bolton Wanderers.
The results round-up from the fourth round is as follows:
Fourth Round Proper
- Swindon Town 2 – 0 Middlesbrough
- Liverpool 1 – 0 Arsenal
- Reading 1 – 3 Manchester City
- Portsmouth 1 – 2 Plymouth Arglye
- Southend United 3 – 1 Stoke City
- Chelsea 4 – 0 Shrewsbury Town
- Bristol City 2 – 1 Leeds United
- Manchester United 1 – 2 Carlisle United
- Sunderland 2 – 1 Macclesfield Town
- Colchester United 0 – 1 Aston Villa
- Ipswich Town 3 – 1 Watford
- Charlton Athletic 6 – 0 Sheffield United
- Birmingham City 3 – 1 Preston North End
- Bolton Wanderers 2 – 3 Port Vale
- Leicester City 3 – 2 Crystal Palace
- Tottenham Hotspur 2 – 1 Chester City
Congratulations go to Carlisle United for their win over much fancied Manchester United. The Cumbrians were 2 – 0 ahead after just half an hour courtesy of a penalty from Gary Madine and a 25-yard volley from Steven Hindmarsh.
However, United reduced the arrears before half time thanks to a wonder-goal from England international Danny Wellbeck. Despite constant pressure from the home side Carlisle held out to record a memorable victory.
Port Vale’s Youth squad should also be commended for their efforts as they knocked out Bolton Wanderers at the Reebok Stadium. The game went to extra time after Wanderers levelled but the visitors showed determination and a penalty sealed the deal for a place in the fifth round.
Meanwhile, Plymouth Argyle’s young chargers booked their place in the quarter final with a 3 – 2 win over Birmingham City which gave them their third successive win over Premiership opposition. The Pilgrims will now eagerly await the draw for the next round.