Eleven EFL coaches and two PFA coach educators have returned to the UK following a week of learning across the Basque region.
League Football Education’s Coaches Trip, funded by Erasmus+, exposed the group to Spanish methodology, highlighting a range of theories and techniques around the development of young players and coaches.
During the six-day project, the coaches visited La Liga clubs Athletic Bilbao, Real Sociedad and SD Eibar, watching training sessions of various age groups and engaging in open forums with Heads of Methodology and first-team staff.
Coaches were given particularly open access to Sociedad’s philosophy via a full day spent with Head of Academy Luki Iriarte, while Eibar Head Coach José Luis Mendilibar took time out of his schedule to lead a Q&A session.
Meanwhile, the travelling party also studied local outfits Arenas Club and Danok Bat CF for an insight into their role as feeder clubs to the bigger Academies.
- Stuart English (Birmingham City)
- Tom Pell (Cambridge United)
- Tom Ramasut (Cardiff City)
- Liam Bailey (Colchester United)
- Jason Pearcey (Derby County)
- Matt Blinkhorn (Fleetwood Town)
- Neil Wainwright (Morecambe)
- Lewis Craig (Salford City)
- Rob Williams (Shrewsbury Town)
- Iain Sankey (The PFA)
- Stephen Torpey (The PFA)
- Kyle Kirby (Walsall)
- Peter Murphy (Wigan Athletic)