On Thursday 8th March 2007 LFE’s exit and progression support programme for apprentices took another step forward.
In partnership with JOBscene, over 50 apprentices from Cardiff City, Swansea City, Bristol City and Cheltenham Town attended a careers event held at the Newport Centre in Wales.
JOBscene run the largest series of UK careers events attracting a wide range of exhibitors including Colleges, Universities, recruitment agencies and employment support organisations, as well as individual employers such as the Army, the Royal Marines, HSBC and KPMG all showcasing the opportunities they have to offer.
LFE have targeted this series of events for apprentices to attend to ensure they understand what is on offer to them in these diverse areas as well as what is required of them to take up these opportunities. LFE’s main objective is to prepare apprentices for secondary careers and equip them with the skills to succeed.
A two and a half hour structured programme was delivered to the apprentices that included the following:
- Introduction to all of the elements of the exit and progression support programme (LFE’s Research Project Officer, Dan Jolley)
- Real life exit and progression experiences (LFE’s Assistant Performance Team Manager and Ex-Tranmere Rovers apprentice, Steven Sutcliffe)
- PFA Education support (PFA Education Officer, Pat Lally)
- CV and Interview technique workshop (Carmarthenshire College training advisors, Eileen Morris & Sue Torry)
- Foundation Degree in Football Coaching and Performance opportunity (University of Glamorgan Senior Lecturer, Paul Rainer)
- The programme was completed with the apprentices interacting with exhibitors directly (see pictures above and below) and completing job identification worksheets that can also be used as evidence to add to their NVQ logbook.
LFE would like to thank JOBscene and the four Clubs for supporting the event, as well as all those who contributed to the days programme.
Future Careers Events
The type of programme LFE delivers will be specific to the different event venues and LFE will be contacting Clubs with further details. Where LFE will not be running specific programmes apprentices are still advised to attend the most convenient event.
The list of event dates and venues is as follows:
- 18th & 19th March 2007, Olympia 2, London
- 20th & 21st April 2007, Marriot Hotel, Bristol
- 26th April 2007, The Town Hall, Reading
- 10th & 11th May 2007, The Guildhall, Plymouth
- 17th May 2007, The Guildhall, Southampton
- 20th September 2007, The Town Hall, Reading
- 4th October 2007, The Guildhall, Southampton
- 11th & 12th October 2007, The National Indoor Arena, Birmingham
- 8th & 9th November 2007, Cardiff International Arena
- 16th & 17th November 2007, Eldon Leisure Centre, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
Full details can be found at the JOBscene website.