Football Agents & Signing Professional
Any player that wishes to obtain advice around the terms and conditions of his contract should remember that The PFA is on hand to assist.
Regulations introduced by FIFA require players and clubs to deal only with licensed agents for transfer and contract negotiations. As a member of The PFA any Apprentice or Professional Player is entitled to free advice from The PFA who are able to provide hands-on representation in contract negotiations, give free financial advice and offer a number of other free services that could be of benefit.
The PFA aims to offer hands-on representation for players at every stage of their careers as well as offering ethical “best advice” at all times.
To speak to The PFA please call Matthew Buck on 0161 236 0575
The Football Association
The FA is responsible for the governance of Football Agents, so should you choose not to contact The PFA for advice, full guidance can also be obtained from The FA website – www.thefa.com
The FA’s dedicated helpline purely for queries on the Regulations, can be reached on 0844 980 8213
While you are advised to read through the extensive list of regulations available on The Football Association website, some key points are listed below.
Some Key points to remember:
- Players must ensure that any Agent they use to carry out Agency Activity is authorised by The FA
- If you are in doubt as to the status of an Agent, ask to see proof, contact The FA or check The FA’s website which lists all Authorised Agents
- It is an offence for Players to use an unauthorised agent in negotiations (even where an Authorised Agent signs the paperwork at the end of the deal)
- If Players use an Agent they must have a written contract in place. They must ensure that they get a copy of the contract and that it is signed and dated
- If Players have a contract with an Agent, that Agent must only act for them and look after their interests in any negotiation. The Agent must not act for the Club.
- Players entering into a contract with an Agent should consider taking independent legal advice before agreeing to sign.
- If Players don’t want to use an agent, they don’t have to. However, if Players have a contract with an Agent, they may still have to pay the Agent even if they don’t use him (depending on the terms that the Player negotiates in the Player/Agent contract).
- Players can use close relations to act as their agents (eg. brothers, parents etc) but only if there is no payment for their services.